Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Fuel in the coolant

3K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  smokyred 
#1 ·
I noticed the other day i had fuel in the coolant and was wondering if some one would know what the issue is that i have. A tranny mechanic said it was a leaky injector o-ring going out. not sure what it is but it run in a good temperature rang (safe). Thank u forand advice in advance
-steve-

#2 ·
not the o-rings usually but more than likely its a cracked injector cup or two.. mine did that when i bought it... got so bad i was getting a gallon of fuel in the coolant pretty regularly.. ended up haveing 2 or 3 cracked cups i cant remember the number for sure but that was the prob.. i guess its kinda common

#3 ·
thats what i thot, one of my older psd's did that and it turned outto be the copper washers under the cups.

#7 ·
yea i did mine in the truck...i just bought a tap that was the right size and machined a press tool.... and like bigr said only the back one on the drivers and back two on the pass were kinda hard to do but not too bad

#10 ·
ohh and another thing will it be safe to drive for a while ? pssibly pull lmao i hated to ask
if you think about it with too much fuel in the coolant, the coolant itself would loose its ability to properly cool your engine. you engine would more than likly run hotter and could damage more parts in the engine. i see it all the time in detroits and cat engines. imo i wouldnt run it at all.

#11 ·
uh ohh well it seems to be keeping it in the safe range i understand were ur coming from ill have to do some research and find some cup so i can do it on the injecter install..thanks for the input all of u guys

#12 ·
uh ohh well it seems to be keeping it in the safe range i understand were ur coming from ill have to do some research and find some cup so i can do it on the injecter install..thanks for the input all of u guys
The overall temp of the coolant will stay in the normal zone. The problem is that with fuel mixed in, you'll get pockets of hot spots in the engine. This is where damage will occur. Best not to drive your truck until you get it fixed.

#13 ·
stupy question but what brought this to your attention..
was there a separated layer pf fluid in the catch tank or somthing?

#14 ·
So i had this happen when i first bought my truck. I didn't know much about my truck at the time, so i took it into a shop to have them do it. They specialize in Domestic Diesel and charge $90 an hour for labor...by the time it was done i walked out 2 grand poorer...

They replaced all 8 injector cups, sent out my injectors to have them flowed. found one was bad, so they rebuilt it. they went through the rest of the injectors and cleaned them. put it all back together and flushed the coolant 3 times...to make sure all the fuel was out. all in all the truck was out of service for two weeks.

If i didi it myself i would have saved a ton of money, but at the time i just didnt feel comfortable doing it.

#15 ·
well what brought this to my attention was when i chaged the radiator out and then later check the color of the coolant to make sure it was clean and full when i smelled fuel ..i just bought a cummins ill be driving it intill i get it fixed

#16 ·
well what brought this to my attention was when i chaged the radiator out and then later check the color of the coolant to make sure it was clean and full when i smelled fuel ..i just bought a cummins ill be driving it intill i get it fixed
thanks ..
I basically do the min
check the fluids for level, color ..occasionally sniff the trany stick,
not that I have the money for anything if it is burnt..lol.:D

then see if anything is leaking besides the ac water..
seems like I don't have enough power or tow enough to blow head gaskets
or anything radical...I was just wondering how you could tell

I just got into the t stat and everything looked normal..

#18 ·
have i looked at the cups yet no ill prolly be doing this some time in the fall bigpwr...or are u talking to me lol..im saving for top end parts the pullin truck and buying this inline 6 has got me broke now i whant to tune it too. too many distactions on my end....lol between the pullin truck the dually and the cummins and of course dads trucks and equipment.

#20 ·
yeah it says in my sig i have them ..they havent been installed yet due to i whant to get head gaskets and some other things before i takle this project and i also need the solid lifter conversion..just missing some of the top end parts i need accomplish this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.