Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Double din?

4K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  crowz 
#1 ·
#2 ·
i believe there actually like a din and a half... cause when i had a 1 din headunit with the adapter.. it wasnt all that much extra room

#4 ·
Yeah my truck has one of those :D

Anything you need help with installing it or such let me know.

Also you MUST update the firmware after getting it if you want to use the usb stuff. Its a pain in the neck without the update.

I can send you the link if you get it to download the firmware.

#5 ·
Oh wait I forgot the important part !!!

Dont get it at bestbuy like I did :(

Get it here :
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12048_Kenwood+DDX512.html

I just checked and it shows backordered but they usually refill out of stock stuff within days tops.

$459.99 from them vs $599.99 plus tax(showing $539.99 on sale right now) from best buy. Very easy to install and sonic gives you the adapter to plug stereos in with normally when you buy a stereo from them. Paid $20 at bestbuy when I bought mine for the adapter harness.

#7 ·
I just went to best buy and bought it lol. I left for work early this morning and decided I wanted it today. Impulse buying sucks.

Whats with this firmwire update thing your talking about?
Also, If i dont hook up the parking brake sensor wire, is the DVD player still going to work or am I going to have to ground it out?

The party bus I like that! Ill be up that way sometime, just dont know when.

#8 ·
Impulse buying does suck, but it sure is fun lol, and you get the goodies in hand that instant lol. :D:doh:

Also, If i dont hook up the parking brake sensor wire, is the DVD player still going to work or am I going to have to ground it out?
Crowz can probably chime in a bit better on this as he has the unit but I do know if you don't hook up the parking brake sensor wire it won't allow video playback while the vehicle is in motion. Least that is how it was with my Alpin W205. From what I have seen to bypass the dvd lockout is different on each unit, for the Alpine a Pac TR-7 module can be used, for some Jensen units a code can be punched in, and for older Pioneers I believe they can be simply grounded.

EDIT: just did some google searching and it appears that all you need to do is ground the parking brake lead and the unit should be fully functional.

#9 ·
I just grounded my parking brake wire so I can watch movies when I want to :D

Ok this file is the latest firmware.
http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/mm/firmware/2008/software/Ver1.4.0.zip

Unzip it after downloading it.
Then burn a cd with the file you got out of the zip. Nothing else. Just that one file.

Now for the tricky/risky part. They recommend cranking the vehicle before doing this since the battery going weak can cause the unit to get corrupted. I didnt, I trust my batteries :D

I put the key in the accessory position and turned on the radio, well actually it was already on and came on when turning the key. Anyways, once the stereo is on eject any disk you have in it. Insert the update disk you just made. Sit back and wait for it to get done updating, when it completes it reboots the radio. There is a bar graph that goes across while its updating. Just leave it alone till it gets done and reboots. It then comes back up playing music or with the normal menus. Eject the firmware cd at that point and put it back in the house, you wont need it again.

#10 ·
Thanks for your help crowz! I got it installed today(with parking brake grounded),i-pod interface hooked up(wow it works so much nicer than my alpine setup), but I am not 100% happy with the trim ring it came with it. Did u cut the one it came with or did u find another one that fit better? I tried to cut it, and it came out ok, but its not perfect like i would have wanted it. I ended up using a hot knife to melt the plastic to get enough room to mount it. I like how its working so far just need to learn all the features.

#12 ·
Your ahead of me on the trim ring. I havent gotten around to mounting mine. Im going to grind it down to fit eventually. Send me a pic or link to a pic of yours so I can see how it looks :D

Also make sure you update the firmware if you havent yet. Ipod and stuff is pretty buggy without the update.

#13 ·
Thats where Im going to get mine too. I have a tom tom 720 so Im in no hurry about it, but what the heck, intergrated stuff rocks :D

#14 ·
I am going to do the firmware update due to the fact my ipod indeed messes up right now. When I first start up my truck, the ipod will be on the artist I was listening to before I got out of the truck, but if i change it, it will say disconnected then it will re power up and work fine. Ill post up some pictures of the trim ring when i get a chance.

#16 ·
They have them in the crutchfield catalog but havent seen one in person.

#18 ·
Ive never owned jvc but everyone I know that has wished they hadnt. I personally wont buy jvc products but the reason I try not to normally tell someone not to get jvc stuff is Ive never owned any myself. But otheres experiences seem to back up yours BMacD.

#22 ·
I would but the thought of me having to roll the window down for LEO because of the tint and having that dirty movie on scares me. Weird thing is, I have had it installed over a week and have watched 2 movies on it lol.

#23 ·
Ive watched quite a few on mine, mostly when I have to wait somewhere for something.

Also I keep music videos on my ipod to watch.

#24 ·
I have watched a few more movies in it now, waiting for people watching a movie rules. You never get bored lol. Here is the picture installed, I finally got around to finding my camera so I can take some video of my ticking noise which I have not gotten around to yet but here is the picture.

Sonic electronics still does not have the remote in stock, I have been waiting since I got it the dvd player!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.