7.3 Rear Main Is Leaking - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:09 PM
sideboom583
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

7.3 Rear Main Is Leaking

Hello to all. Hope someone can help me out. I have a 1999 F-350 7.3 with 258,000 thousand miles. Has been a great truck. This winter I had the oil pan replaced along with a new transmission. Of course with replacing the oil pan the rear main was replaced also. About a week after the work was done the rear main started to leak. I took it back to where I had the work done and they took care of it. I have kept a close eye on it since January. Nothing appeared to be leaking. Today I went to change the oil and I looked at it and noticed it looked alittle wet. I pulled off the inspection cover on the bell housing and looked up and around where the seal goes into the oil pan and saw a small drop of oil on the rvt sealer around the seal. It did not look that bad. Then I looked up into the housing and noticed some oil up around the top of the housing. I am hoping that was oil that was not cleaned up from before. I guess my question is can it be leaking on the front side of the fly wheel where it bolts to the crank where you can not see it. What I am trying to find out is if the oil is coming from the front. Again because the drop on the rvt sealer by the oil pan was just a drop and I do not think it could have had made the oil around the top of the housing. When it leaked it leaked pretty good hoping that is old oil. Hoping someone may know somthing or if it is leaking again what might be causing it. Thank you
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2011, 11:20 PM
countryboyrob
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Re: 7.3 Rear Main Is Leaking

Are you 100% positive it's the rear main leaking? Make sure you have no oil leak's or fuel leak's in the valley of the engine.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:44 PM
sideboom583
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Hello Countryboyrob, I checked all that. It is the seal.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:28 AM
Cat_Rebel
OBS junkie
Member's Gallery

9 out of 10 times a "rear main" leak is a "turbo/pedistal" leak. However in your case if it was replaced & installed incorrectly then it sounds like you do have a rear main issue. I'd take it up with the shop that did the work & see if they have some kind of warranty since they did the labor.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

Nice avatar Cat.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:13 PM
chappy
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
Member's Gallery

Yep as said it usually is comming from the top. It is a deep valley on top of the motor and anything leaking poil on top will drop down into the valley and come down the back passenger side of the motor. It will look like its the rear main when usually its not. It could be a hpop line leaking at the fitting on one of the heads,the turbo pedestal leaking ect. It will all come down the back of the motor and look like its commin from the rear main. Climb up there and look in the valley and see if you see oil. It will be harde to see around the base of the turbo pedestal though. Might have to look from bottom and top on a sunny day.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 75
4duggan, 93whitese-r, aklim, Arisley, AZF350, bhfarms, Bigstevex4, Bill R, birdog, BlackStroke, bryan.d, Bushwakd, cat45, CGMKCM, Chad Edwards, chappy, ChunderDownUnder, claybuster, cracklin'stroker, cravin, CSIPSD, Cwillhite04, David N, dchandler033, Dieselboy, E99Superduty, F250 Fever, fordboy424, garych11, geargrabbin97, hendricksbus, hiphopper, hydro man, Ittidneva, jeromejcp, Jordy53, ju015dd, Jwagoner15, kofire, KPSquared, lowbedriver, madman, metalnova, micky_blue, Mike97f350, mjb71, MOTO7.3, mttrucker, NEBR99.5 OIL BURNER, PSDEng, R.J., rickvm, Rockyardjo, rooster-racing, Ross01, rpm-inc, Ryan444, sacrifice, shoaboat, SIC-E, sideboom583, SSmith1247, stroker1994.5, strokernine6, strokertown, tbolt, thenephilm, TxFire, TylerDurden, vader's fury, water_junky, YouToo, zx800x