Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

To much boost? Xtreme Street IDP

8K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Smut 
#1 ·
hey guys. i have an 03 Stroke with a 6.0 PSD. i have the following performance mods
SCT X3 with Xtreme Street ( i have more but this is the one i question)
Banks 4" Exhaust Straight piped
S&B CAI

my problem is that when im in my Extreme street tune and i am going up a grade with the torque converter locked in and i hit the skinny pedal the truck wont downshift and i will hit over 35 lbs of boost. my gauge only goes to 35 so i dont know exactly what it goes to. should the truck downshift if i nail the skinny pedal going up a grade or is this totally normal. from a digg i only hit around 34 lbs. if im on flatts and im doing about 70 and slam the skinny pedal to pass someone it wont downshift either. just builds a ton of boost and slowly excellerates. ive replaced the VGT selonoid and tore apart and cleaned the turbo. but it still does this. any ideas guys?

#2 ·
Not much of a 6.0 guy but that sounds pretty normal.

#3 ·
My truck will downshift if I slam on the gas, but it feels faster when I ease into it and it stays locked, I think my 37s have something to do with it, I'd be careful pushin the turbo past 30.

#5 ·
Im gonna add to op and say its probably a normal thing. Well for me at least as well. No downshifting just insertion of more fuel and really smoky. Cant comment on boost # but shouldnt be too much off a problem as long as you dont do it all the time.
I thought about contacting idp about it but im not all that concerned.

Edit: Even when i hit tow/haul it wont affect the shifting. Neither will pushing the brake with tow or anything else if tried. Im guessing it takes 37s to change anything

#6 ·
Mine does the same thing running the Looney Tune. It pegs the needle at 35. What I do is just tap the Brake pedal while I'm still in the throttle and it will down shift.

#7 ·
You can tap the brake pedal to unlock the converter. Thats how it was when I ran that tune . The tune I run now will drop down and grab 4th with a locked T/C. Its nice.:D

#14 ·
I do the same thing with my xtreme race, just tap the converter if you need to get up and go in OD.

I know my truck will start lugging and smoke good if I try and jump out to pass without unlocking the TC. Tap of the brake then then get on it. I would think it would be hard on the turbo and also hard on the TC accelerating like that in OD.

Exactly my converter WONT unlock for #### no matter what i do
Probably want to check with Eric on the file. I know there has been discussion about this before on here, just wish I could help you more. Do some searching for converter or unlocking of converter and see if you can find the threads, but I know some guys were discussing it a while back.

Pretty sure in the threads I remember reading them saying that Eric could fix it, but it was sort of a tuning anomoly that only occurs in some trucks where the tap of the brake to unlock needs a different tuning parameter maybe. So Eric should be able to tweak your tune to get it to function properly.

#11 ·
Have you tried it without a tune in your truck?

#13 ·
Answered your own question.

#19 ·
OP
Do you have your EGR valve plugged in? I had an EGR delete without my EGR valve plugged in and I seen 36-37 psi without it plugged in. When I plugged it back in I saw 34-35. I know not a huge difference but might be worth a try. Mine was not with x-race though. Mine was with SRL and TSD's super panty dropper. Both tunes acted the same way with EGR plugged in and unplugged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.