7.3 sudden problem - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:09 PM
pwrstrdude
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

7.3 sudden problem

I have a 03 250 7.3 When I went to start the ole truck this am ,started just fine like it always does then all the sudden it starts running real ruff like its not running on all cylinders,cab shaking plus the cel comes on ....no smoke at all.

If I let it run a little wile it will even out for a few seconds then it ill go back to runny like crap again.Weird thing is its been running just fine,pulled the boat with it yesterday and not even a hiccup.

Can you guys give me a idea of where to start to look,would appreciate it ?

Best I can think must be some kind of sensor....duhh thats the best I can do.Did have the cps replaced when the recall came out and the alternator replaced last yr. .
Forgot to mention its all stock.
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 07:12 PM
TylerDurden
<----Nice headlights!!!
Member's Gallery

Re: 7.3 sudden problem

CPS again. Or hpo problems.

Check fuses first. Check connections second. Get a scanner third if there is a cel.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:14 AM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

I am guessing UVCH.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:15 AM
jake2far
OBS finding my way
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrstrdude View Post
cab shaking plus the cel comes on ....no smoke at all.

Get the code, it will help with the diagnosis.

Jim
1996 OBS Crewcab, Shortbed, 4x4, Automatic Transmission, Baby Swamps, Adrenaline HPOP, SuperDuty Electric Fuel Pump conversion, Quick Turbo Housing, 6 Position Chip, 3" Down Pipe, 2 Disc Locking Converter, Intercooler
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Old 04-25-2011, 02:47 AM
Marc
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisley View Post
I am guessing UVCH.
I second this, i would be pulling the valve covers to check the harnesses. A scanner to get the code/do a buzz test would also be nice.

The other thing ive seen with trucks is that because of neglected mainanence, oil leaks, or burning oil, if the oil level gets right down to the pickup tube so it draws some air by it too (about 6 quarts low) they will draw air and the oil will foam. As the oil warms and the level raises just a little tiny bit, it wont draw the air anymore and they will clear up.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:54 AM
tbolt
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

UVCH is my bet. Been there.
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
Old 04-25-2011, 04:28 PM
7.3psd97444
OBS Addict
Member's Gallery

UVCH FTW

Hope ya get it figured out.
TS 6 Position Tyrant Tuning
S&B, MBRP, Isspro, Mag-Hytec, 1.00 A/R Exhaust housing, HPX
Full sound system: Kicker-Kenwood
BILLET BADGES
Dick Cepek DC-2's/Duratracs
On-Board Air
Few cosmetics
PSA # 269
Old 04-25-2011, 04:49 PM
JesseM
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

FWIW..
If it comes back with the IDM code, check the wires OVER the valve cover too. My truck did this once to me over the winter, then went away. Then not until just last week and wouldnt go away. I was thinking the wires under the valvecover too like most guys say, but it turned out the harness OVER the valve cover was sagging and chafing and shorting out. As soon as I picked up the wires, problem solved.
"New" Diesel owner, have wanted one since I was about 10 yrs old. 2000 F-350, EC/SB, Lariat, DynoMax pipes, AEM intake, Banks Big Head, DiabloSport tuned for now ..List of things to buy: Wicked Wheel, Valve Body, 6.0 Intercooler and Tranny cooler, undecided on tuner...
Old 04-26-2011, 01:23 AM
pwrstrdude
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Hey... Thanks for all the info.I dropped the truck off today to get a diagnostic done.I will post when I get the results tomorrow .

On thing I forgot to mention, I was getting cel (battery) off and on 2 weeks early and then it went away to never return.I checked the batteries that are 3 weeks old,the alt is new too.

Anyway ,what may I ask is a UVCH ? It sounds expensive
Old 04-26-2011, 01:30 AM
Super_Hauler
Super Hauler!
Member's Gallery

under valve cover harness, your idm send a signal to your injectors and glow plugs through these. Usually they just melt or the clip breaks or loosens up and you get a bad connection. could have saved your self some money and did it yourself, its stupid easy! My little girl almost has it down.
1985 Peterbilt 359 Big cam III Tuned up a little
HERS:2001 F-350 ccsb notta stock!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prheitz View Post
I change my HPOP oil, the oil does circulate with the regular oil, it doesn't cycle as often and does get dirty sooner.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 119
01REDSTROKER, 02BigD, 03_PSD, 1badz, 2006nytro, 7.3psd97444, 7.3stroker21, 91turbogsx, 95powersmoker, 97RuffRyd, 97Stroker13, All Jacked Up, Arisley, Austinj427, AzPsd55, Big Calo, Bigbibb, blackedout7.3, bosssuperduty, boxster7614, bryan39175, Bushwakd, CALADASH, ccf350stroker, cfdeng7, CHevDog1, CJOHNS05, COFG-28, Crazzy8, CTC DEEZUL, CTFFEMT, Dave70454, David N, DcMoore999, deiter5262, DocBar, dthunt3, Dusty Roads, Effreem, farmall99, Fasttimez, FordCowboy, FRMDSL, GameStroke48, Greg, hiphopper, Honeyshucks4, houtxfdcapt, itsallinthestroke, jake2far, jaybuller, JesseM, joedaddy, Joedog, johnday, joppajet, ju015dd, lifestroker97, lincolnlocker, LittleRedStroker, LOOSEWHEEL, M4K3H808, majorpecs, Marc, markyt, metalphd, milehighstroker, minerz, Morning wood, mtmod50, mudtruckpullin99, nielsencc86, ogiwalljr, otis_301, Ouch, parne, piercy, pilot4life, pitbullpowerstroke, policefordtuff, PoorMansCat, pooter, powelce, protraxrptr17, pwrstrdude, R.J., ralph, ramkiller97, raptor, rickyrouster, rndllquinn, rob10970, Ron's power stroke, sbrofford, screagle07, SD70M, shoaboat, shock, silverslug, slayer7712, smokinstroker92, splitshot, stlhdfishr, Stroke-n-it, strokinak, Super_Hauler, suprdzlduty, tbolt, techteacher, tims02ford, two-rocks, TylerDurden, usmc_butler, WA_PSD, Wheels, whiteboy192004, wildjon, ZBrooks