Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

VGT-SS vs. NON-VGT

5K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  airflo71 
#1 ·
I have been introduced to both for my 06 F250 and I can't figure out which would be better. I have heard good things about both but what I really want to find out is the negative things. Anyone got any details? Thanks

#5 · (Edited)
If youre sticking with 180 injectors, id most likely stick with a VGT-SS. I ran a Silver Bullett 66 on a 6.0 and it was laggy. around 2100-2200 it would start to light. with a high stall converter youd light it, but the vgt-ss would do a decent job of cleaning things up and have great spool. Youd have to ask logan what kind of temps hes seen with 180s-190s and a VGT-SS. Id imagine a 62 such as a phat shaft 62 would be a better match to those injectors than a 66, as you could still push in the 500 horse range and temps would probably be somewhat managable and spool wouldnt be terrible.

LOL apparently we were posting at the same time.

#6 ·
With Elites stage IIs and a reg. return, on insanity tunes, the vgt-ss would peg a 1600* gauge fairly easy at WOT. But driving at 70mph, egts were around 650-700 with stock IC.

With the Phat Shaft 62 the Egts never exceeded 1500* at WOT, and were in the same range at 70MPH.

Phat shaft 62= Hair of lag on the bottom end.
Vgt-ss = Quick spool

both would produce rite at 40 psi.

#7 ·
i know DJ sells a package deal for around 4500..fuel system, 190cc, VGT-SS upgrade, and studs. which is a bargin and seems right up your alley. DJ claims to see in excess of 500 with this set up.

Innovative can do something similiar.

Elite tends to be a little pricey, tadd does do good work but you can get comparable power else where and save 1k..imo

#9 ·
Personally I would Run the Phat Shaft 62, I cleaned up almost all the smoke on the top end, and power wise I think the phat shaft felt like it had more power on the bottom end once it spooled.

The VGT-SS was just more of a consistant power from start to finish. It also was vary close to no smoke aswell.

Both operate well, and Its depending what u are going to do with the truck, daily driver in houston, VGT-SS. Open road towing PS62.

#14 ·
I have run the VGT-SS on my race truck with a lot of success. I have no complaints.

#20 ·
SANGER already has a 66mm from us, but I suspect there are some other issues preventing it from performing as it should. I believe TN has even tightened the A/R in an attempt to help spool up, but I am not sure what has happened since.

We have had a few trucks with the same turbo, but with an injector variable, the performance was not the same. We just went through this exercise with IGOTIT's truck.....

#23 ·
A variable vane drop in with a GT40-88 comp-wheel would be ideal. With fuel tuning already adjustable, somebody will have to write software that can program the turbo to operate optimally. I talked to Borg Warner engineers about the stock turbo and to see if they were working on an upgrade. They had 3 Powerstrokes using some s-200s variables that were running around. They told me that I wouldn't believe how many things the EMCM looks up to control the vane position. Just about everything. I have some S300G variable position turbos brand new that fit DT466's but have no way to control the solenoid. I know what the pin out connectors are and that's it. I could regulate voltage to them with the use of a pressure switch and thermal switch but this is still a blind way to tune the thing. I think we need to develop VGT Turbo software that can be used to tune with injectors and other modifications. ANy body know how to write C code?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.