Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.4 swap

7K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Black_Lightning91 
#1 ·
Anyone ever swap a 6.4 to a super duty that came with a 6.0? Possible?

#2 ·
Anything is possible. Its all depends on how much moola u gots!

#3 ·
:blah: anyone here ever do this?

#5 ·
It's possible .........just depends on how much money you got, how confident you are in taking on a project and if you find a donor truck.

Either way it would prolly be cheaper to just mod the 6.0, but then again you may come out ahead if you do the swap and are able to sell a bunch of the parts ya dont need.

#6 ·
What would be so expensive about it? The purchase on the motor? what else would you really need? They both use the 5R110? will the 6.0 PCM work? Anyone have info on specifics?

#8 ·
just go buy a 08-10 truck and be done with it. save yourself the headache

#10 ·
You need the entire chassis harness, fuel tank sending unit, fuel pump, cooling, engine, transmission (the bellhousing bolt pattern is different), engine harness, pcm, fuel lines, dash harness, gauge cluster, heater box, and pretty much everything else specific to the newer trucks. Best bet is to get a wrecked parts truck, but the good news is it's all bolt in. No fabrication required, other than making room for all the extra cooling on the 6.4 vs the 6.0.

#11 ·
now were talking! thats alot!..... hmmm I've found a few on copart that are reasonable... that would be the way, to scoop up a roll over.... hmmm

#14 ·
I think it would be a cool swap! At the same time, you could just put a 05 front end on an 08, though :p. I would love to see a 6.4 swap into an OBS!

#15 ·
all the stuff mentioned above is fairly easy if you use the 6.0 coolers. the big challenge is the firewall. If I were to do it, I'd use as much of the 6.4 stuff as possible (say from a wrecked donor), then integrate the rest. there's a significant difference in the firewalls on the rt side around the heater box and downpipe areas. I highly doubt you'll get a stock downpipe on a 6.4 under a 6.0 hood. just look at the available space on the passenger floor on both types of trucks.

#16 ·
#17 ·
Unless you just LOVE your truck, it would much cheaper truck for truck to buy a 6.4. This is why you haven't heard of it being done yet. fix the 6.0, sell it, and use the money toward the new 6.4...... or turn it into a SWEET money pit- assuming you get someone who'll do it in a reasonable time frame.

#18 ·
All hypothetical. My truck runs great. Just get tired of hearing about everyone swapping Cummins into these trucks. Would be cool to see something different.

#23 ·
powercumm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.