Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

The Price Of Fuel Is Going Up Again

7K views 39 replies 23 participants last post by  bruce51d 
#1 ·
What are you gonna do?

A. Ignore it, pay through the nose, and whine?
B. Park the $50,000 truck and drive a pedal bomber?
C. Sell the truck and keep the clown car?
D. Slow down/hypermile?
E. Mod for MPG?
F. All of the above
G. Some of the above

As for me: D (as always) and E.

#15 ·
What?! It's over $5.00/gallon here....

Yeah it sucks! I drive an avg of 550-650mi/wk. Most of my construction work is rural. Used to tow my trailer most every day, run about $250/wk in fuel.
Last fall i bought a 93 nissan hardbody truck that gets 25mpg. So now i tow my trailer to the job, leave it and drive the nissan the remainder of the time, then use the diesel to pull trailer back home or on to next job.

I try to drive the nissan as much as possible!
Sucks driving the lil turd, but its about impossible to recoup fuel cost otherwise.

So I guess answer is B.
I had one, wish I never sold it. Bought it for 300 bucks drove it and sold it for 500 with over 300,000 miles on it.

Right now I work two miles from the house so the diesel usually sits while I drive my 150...but that gets 8mpg. I'm in the process of getting a new job which will be out of the county so...

...I bought an old Civic real cheap. :doh:

#4 ·
well if u had money u could buy the machine to make the fuel and then ud have no worries right genius u might lose some horspower

#6 ·
Well i have been swithcing between the car and the truck, which has cut me from $100/week to $50/ a week in diesel.. but really we all just gotta whine about it and pay. ive been trying more and more to stay off the skinny, but sometimes its too tempting...

#7 ·
Yeah it sucks! I drive an avg of 550-650mi/wk. Most of my construction work is rural. Used to tow my trailer most every day, run about $250/wk in fuel.
Last fall i bought a 93 nissan hardbody truck that gets 25mpg. So now i tow my trailer to the job, leave it and drive the nissan the remainder of the time, then use the diesel to pull trailer back home or on to next job.

I try to drive the nissan as much as possible!
Sucks driving the lil turd, but its about impossible to recoup fuel cost otherwise.

So I guess answer is B.

#8 ·
B for me, but I did that regardless of fuel price.
Since the wife got a new ride, I got her old car so my pickup stays parked unless we need to tow or haul.

#14 ·
With fuel at 4.00/gal vs gasoline at 3.30/gal the nisssn saves me $30/day in fuel when I drive it instead of my f350.

If I average 3 days a week of driving it that amounts to $4,680/year. Based on 500 mile week...which is my minimum. The Nissan cost me $600 and tags are 35/year. Insurance is under 200/year.

I save in maintenance too...$18 oil change every 5,000 miles on Nissan vs $120 for diesel with synthetic.
not to mention wear and tear on the diesel is waaay more to fix then the Nissan when/if something does break.
I wish I could drive my diesel everyday, just can't afford to anymore.

#10 ·
Well, the car is bought and paid for. Insurance costs me under $200/year. License is about $80/year. This money is recouped in just a month in fuel savings. As for maintenance, every mile I put on the car is one that I don't put on the pickup, and the car has far cheaper maintenance costs.
Guessing these savings are multiplied for 06VT365 due to the number of miles he puts on.

#11 ·
well ive done it defore it work very well but everybody makes fun of me cuz i drive a monster truck then im driving a crx ahahaa i love them tho 100 month 40 gas wassup i be hustle all day lol not good for picking up women haha

#13 ·
I drive my beater regardless of fuel costs. Don't see the point of driving a 1 ton diesel 70 miles a day for no reason. Especially when it takes $100 plus oil changes

#17 ·
I am blessed to have a job that keeps me at home 90% of the time. When I do travel, if it is much more than a day trip I rent a car (company paid). With fuel prices going up I will likely go through the hassle of renting a car for even day trips.

I have been casually shopping for an early 2000s TDI to use for travel instead of renting a car.

#22 ·
I swore id never own a nuther toyota but i recently bought a '87 toyota pk gettin 24mpg vs. my '08 f-350 dually gettin 13. Helps inda long run on drvin 2work cost an if i need 2tow sumthin im good there2 jus basicaly 6 to one person 1/2dozen the other fuel prices still suck either way.

#25 ·
Purchased a 1998 Honda crv last week i have 2 7.3l f250 and f350 CC dually wife drives 52 miles round trip to work and i drive 30 . around 450 to 500 a month in fuel
Crv has 111,625 should last us a little while been a while since i filled a tank for 20 bucks :bowfast:
diesel here is st. Louis 3.89 right now

#26 ·
Just paid $4.29 today in ohio when it had previously been $3.69 till just the other day.

#32 ·
That's awesome, thanks for the info! Only bad thing is anybody that has one in decent shape wants a TON of money for them, especially the pickups.

Dad used to have an old doo doo brown '82 Rabbit diesel four speed. Slow and ugly as it could be...............man I wish I had it lol

#33 ·
A. Ignore it, pay through the nose, and whine?
&
E. Mod for MPG?

Diesel is $4.19 up here in AK and the winter fuel is coming very soon. If it's not already here. But I'm getting amazing mpg right now with my mods. I love it! That's why I bought my 7.3. Had a Hummer and a 2011 GMC 1500 before this one.

#34 ·
It's $4.20/gal here on the frozen steppes of central Indiana. The northeast part of the country still uses a lot of No. 2 fuel oil for residential heat. the brutal winter (utter failure of global warming) has depleted stocks of heating oil. Low refinery capacity means it will take all summer to rebuild stocks.

Look for $4/gal fuel oil most of this summer.

My gas-hog Impala SS is cheaper to operate than my F350.

#36 ·
Just finished taxes according to receipts my f350, dmax and my wife's escalade ate just over $42,000.00 in fuel this past year. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet my truck got me to places that made me way more then that. It really doesn't matter how much they raise the cost of fuel your gonna buy it anyway.

F350 ran 43000 miles this year 14.5 mpg
Dmax ran 92000 miles this year 16.8 mpg
Escalade ran 12000 miles this year 14 mpg

#38 ·
Re: Post #36

Wow! What biz are you in, 2Dstorm?

I thought I drive a lot – enough to justify nearly any modification for MPG – but you run about 50% more than me per vehicle (setting aside wifey’s SUV). I suspect a fair amount of MPG mods would make a great deal of bottom-line sense to you?

Obviously, a Prius isn’t gonna float the boat for you.

Fill us in with some detail. Maybe some free advice will put some money back in your pocket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.