Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1983 f250

30K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  Bradbilt 
#1 ·
So I'm getting a FREE gas :)() 83 reg cab long bed 4x4. Haven't seen it but I know its in pretty good condition. We're going to drop a First Gen 12v into it and probably keep the 4 speed. I want to stop putting miles on my super duty and this thing will probably get decent fuel mileage. Since I live in CA, if I do a 12v I wont have to worry about smogging it and we have a couple of them laying around.

Is there anything I need to know just about the body and suspension? I know that its Twin I Beam :mad:. Any little upgrades that need to be done??

Thanks guys! :ford:

#2 ·
Check the rear end and make sure its a full floater, not the semi floater axle. Two, 4 gears are not going to make you happy with a diesel on the highway, you need od or top end will be somewhere around 60-70 flat out, and you will not get any mileage out of the truck. Post up some pics and good luck!

#3 ·
I love these trucks, I restored an 86 F250 a while back, left the 300 6-cylinder in it, had plans for a 351w, but i ended up selling it, if i could do another, or get this truck back it would be getting a 7.3 PSD.

#4 ·
:whs:

Love that body style, and can't wait to get another one, one of these days.

If its a gas job F250 then probably just has the 8.8" rear end. Sterling 10.25 or Dana 60/70 rear shouldn't be too hard to find, but if its just driving around the 8.8 should last as long as your not really pouring on the power or towing too much. I am pretty sure that a D60 swap up front is pretty close to a bolt in installation as well, just need to add a track bar and such.

LMC Truck Parts: Chevy Chevrolet Blazer S10 GMC Jimmy S15 Ford Bronco Ranger Pickup Pick Up Accessories/Catalogs has pretty much all the body panels and interior and little parts you might need for the truck. If you were closer I got a radiator out of a 6.9L I could give ya, the gasser ones are pretty small.

#5 ·
Thanks guys! I'm pretty excited. Twin Turbo'd 12v OBS for a daily driver. :drool:

#6 ·
I love that body style too, I have an 86 thats fully restored, got a 302 in it right now but I eventually want to swap in a 12v as well. Only thing I can think of is ditch the TTB as fast as possible

#8 ·
Thats clean! I want to do the two tone scheme just like my Super Duty. The Maroon would be the middle strip with the Silver being top and bottom w/ a maroon motor and tranny or I want to do Pearl white/silvery w/ a pink motor and tranny!

#17 ·
Man, this thread made me go back into my albums of the build of my 86, and made me miss it even more.lol. the bad thing is I only sold it like 2 months ago.

I found one picture I just HAD to post. Me out havin some fun.

Alright, back to the 12valve, Cant wait to keep an eye on the build!!

#18 ·
Yeah see for right now its gonna be the beater truck. Something I can drive everyday and not worry about once winter comes.

We're thinking of maybe hooking up a 5r110 to it! :evil:

My boss got a 71 f100 for free. I was a little jealous about that. My dream truck is a 72 Hi-Boy with a 6.4!

#21 ·
My boss got a 71 f100 for free. I was a little jealous about that. My dream truck is a 72 Hi-Boy with a 6.4!
that sure would be a sweet truck :ford:

Maybe something like this...

not quite the standard 2-tone but maroon middle silver top/bottom

#22 ·
Well here is my truck. I dunno why but I LOVE this paint scheme. I'd probably do same wheels and tires on the 83. I don't want any chrome. Want it to be a total sleeper. :evil

This is my Ex's 95 7.3. So pretty much this scheme but reversed and my colors!

#23 ·
but looking at that Hi-Boy I kinda dig the silver in the middle....

#26 ·
O come on, put a stroke in the truck and keep it all ford! But seriously, the maroon w the silver at the bottom would look good. Just hope you have maroon or grey interior. As for the rear axle you may have the semi floating 10.25 , full float 10.25 or the D60, But you have the POS D44 front axle. Swap in a D60! And here is a LIL' Ford that is getting a stoke put in it if it is the last thing i do
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.