Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Bent push rod/ broken rocker

18K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  ger45 
#1 ·
Ok guys I have a bent rid and broken rocker arm on cyl 2! I was told it had low compression on this cyl but pulled valve cover and found this so should I just fix these and recheck compression or just go ahead and pull heads

#2 ·
I had one go out in my mustang, I played it safe and pulled the heads because you have no idea what else could be wrong. Better to play it safe and just have it at least checked.

#4 ·
Gotta be a reason why the pushrod bent, I agree with ctc deezul I would make sure you don't have a stuck seized valve. I wouldn't pull the heads until you know the valve is stuck. I have seen pushrods bend for no reason. I'm guessing its intake side since you said it was low on compression?

#5 ·
you better hope its not a lifter issue or you might be pulling that engine to put a new cam in.

#6 ·
Usually a broken lifter will either not open the valve or keep the valve open depending on where it is stuck. However an easy way to check this, use a good pushrod, put it in the lifter and either have a friend bump the key over or with the key off, unplug the starter wire ( Right hand fender by vacuum reservoir) and put it to the positive and bump it over. Hold a little tension on the end of the pushrod with your finger (BE CAREFUL) and watch the pushrod to make sure it is moving up and down. If you're unsure of the movement, compare it to the next known good cylinder. If it doesn't move at all, make sure you have it seated correctly. If is is, bad news.

#7 ·
That was going to be my question, Why do the pushrods bend on these 6.0's? I see alot from bad install after removal other than that, why? Most common are siezed valves or a floated valve, but what are most people finding on these? And as said earlier I hope it is not a lifter.

#8 ·
I have only come across one bent pushrod and broken rocker arm. It was due to a guide freezing up. It was on a manual trans truck that is heavily over loaded. These things in manual form are easy to over rev so I assume that was the main cause

#14 ·
If you have a bent valve now you can tell by the height of the valve stem.Compare to other valve heights in the closed position (all the way up) Intakes may have different heights than exhaust so make sure your comparing the same valves. If they are all the same, odds are it overreved or its a guide issue. I'm betting on overevved and hoping for the best at the same time. I used to build engines over 28 years ago now, and have seen it happen on gas engines. Have thrown in new pushrods and they were usually fine if the springs werent broke.
Damm I'm getting old :(

#17 ·
My shop found that Ford installed incorrect length pushrods in my lousy 6 Litre. The factory pushrods are .056 longer than the recommended replacements. The incorrect pushrods caused the failure of the roller on one lifter and wiped the cam out. The repair will be in the neighborhood of $6K, because the entire engine has to be disassembled to replace the cam, which is accessed from the rear of the engine.

We need to sue Ford & International for the cost of this extremely expensive repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.