Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Signs of injectors going bad?

63K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Mtack 
#1 ·
I am sure this has been asked before but I have a question for you guys. The last couple of months I have noticed if I lug my truck down to about 1200 rpms it almost feels like a miss. I just changed the oil, fuel filter, and checked everything out. The reason I wonder about injectors is if I run Dieselkleen, two stroke oil, etc. it seems to almost go away. As a final test I filled up yesterday with no additives and it once again has a slight miss at about 1100-1300 rpms. Runs fine at speed, idles good, but fuel mileage is down about 2 mpg. I just ordered Autoenginuity from Diesel Power Products so I can check it out a little better. Do any of these symptoms seem like injectors? It has 168,000 miles on it. I have a week of vacation left so I am trying to figure out if I need to order some injectors and a turbo.

#2 ·
buzz 'em, that'll tell ya.

When you get that AE, that is... seems a little early for the injectors if the truck was/has been maintained well.

#8 ·
First thing I would do.

#3 ·
In the 8 years I have owned it I have always changed the oil every 3000 miles, fuel filter about every 10,000 and the air filter every time it looks dirty. When I wrenched for a living I changed a few injectors with less miles but it was always obvious. I just have no idea what they do before they go clear out or if they just go out without any warning. I will definitely know more after I get the AE.

#5 ·
Could the injector be dirty? Only way to tell that is to have it bench tested.

#6 ·
I have the EXACT same problem!!

It almost feels like strong wind is bucking the truck at cruise from the front. Just a real slight hesitation in the Low RPM range...

I have AE But I have yet to hook the truck to it to see what the deal is.

#7 ·
run your tests, if your spending 350+ bucks for the program might as well use it.
You can use the live data screen and see several variables in live time. Also use the CCT and buzz test. It would be a good excuse to get injectors, oh and buy one size up at least.
W/ that many miles, get Swamped, trust me on this one injectors and a new BB woke mine up before my injector issues resurfaced. Dave and Jon answer ALL their emails quickly and always return my calls. And i've spent only a small portion of $$ w/ them. Heck they fielded all my info on other problems.
good luck

#9 ·
After seeing the huge price drop on 250/100% injectors from Ryan Casserly I almost hope I find an injector issue! I will run some tests as soon as I receive my Autoenginuity.

#10 ·
I guess it is not an injector issue. I did the buzz test and not one sounded any different. I also ran the cylinder contribution test and got nothing. It is so slight and you have to lug it down to even notice. I guess I `ll have to wait and see if it gets any worse.

#12 ·
There may still be a problem with a injector, even though it dosent show on the tests with AE. With the problem that you are having, the only way that you would be able to truly figure it out is if you could electrically cut out individual injectors when the problem is happening. You would need to build or buy a setup that would allow you to do this, then drive the truck in a way that the you can feel the miss and have someone turn off one injector at a time until you find the one that doesnt make a difference, and that is the problem injector.

#13 ·
Mine is so slight that most people would never notice. That is why I wondered if anybody noticed anything similar before an injector went bad. I guess after you drive something for 8 years you notice any different noises, vibrations, etc. Maybe I have one starting to go bad, just not enough to show up yet? It really makes me lean towards an injector since diesel kleen makes it pretty much go away.

#14 ·
Mine is so slight that most people would never notice. That is why I wondered if anybody noticed anything similar before an injector went bad. I guess after you drive something for 8 years you notice any different noises, vibrations, etc. Maybe I have one starting to go bad, just not enough to show up yet? It really makes me lean towards an injector since diesel kleen makes it pretty much go away.
exactly thats what i got goin on i slowly noticed the fuel mileage going away and then seemed to feel and hear things, my wife told me i was crazy then did my cut out test and found bad number 8 and bam whats up now woman lol j/k

#15 ·
I guess it is not an injector issue. I did the buzz test and not one sounded any different. I also ran the cylinder contribution test and got nothing. It is so slight and you have to lug it down to even notice. I guess I `ll have to wait and see if it gets any worse.
Did you do the buzz test when the engine was cold or hot. An injector that has excessive armature gap will show up on a cold buzz test but not a hot one due to the heat closing up the armature gap allowing the injector to pass the buzz test.

#16 ·
I did the buzz test before it had ever been fired up for the day. Then I went for a little ride to see what kind of pressure my adrenaline had. After that I did the buzz test again with absolutely no difference between hot and cold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.