Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Replacing front axle seal...

37K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  JimTJr 
#1 ·
On my 03 Super Duty. I had a hub go out, inner needle bearings. Believe it or not they never made a sound to my knowledge. But I developed a rattle, and in looking for it saw some axle grease seaping down from the passenger side tube. Grabbed the universal joint, it wiggled up and down almost an inch. Outer bearing (Load bearing) was ok. drove it home last night, took it apart today. Found the needle bearings GONE,,, and the outer axle shaft ruined where that bearing rides at. So, I got the hub warrantied from O'Rileys. But now I need the outer axle shaft, and to replace the inner seal. Do I HAVE to remove the carrier? And if I do, does it need reset? (I don't have a clue how to do that...) Or can I just remove those four bolts in the Differential and bring that assembly out?

Thanks for any info in advance! I hope Ford has that axle piece in stock Monday morning.

#2 ·
remove the 4 bolts on the back side, then pull the shaft with everything on it right out. Then you can put the new seal on there. The new seal is a PITA if you dont have the tool. I just used a peice of pipe and a hammer and a vise to keep the shaft still while i tapped the seal in. Its pretty easy to do once you get it started.

#3 ·
NO, my diff is leaking grease. I need to replace the seal near the carrier. I am leaking out the end by the universal joint....
I also need to replace that large seal on the small piece of the axle. But the one that is leaking is way up by the gears.

#5 ·
:whs:
Ya driveline carrier bearing and axels are two totally different thing. I dont know of any diffs that have grease in them, but there is diff fluid in there if thats what your talking about. But like he said gets some pics and we will definitly be able to help you out.

Or are talking about leaking fluid from your yolk on the front side of the differential?

#6 ·
ok, sorry, not "Grease" It's Gear lube, It is seeping out the end of the housing tube at the universal joint. So it's the inner (and only) seal that is leaking. (For that side anyway) I have the axle out and on the floor, I need to know if the carrier for the ring and pinion needs to come out to replace the seal in the differential. There certainly is not much room in there, that's for sure. If it needs to come out, I'll replace both sides of course.

#7 ·
Yes it needs to come out. Remove the bearing caps and keep track of orientation, which side, etc.

There is a special tool to install the seals. I tapped mine in with a socket. Hope it's ok, haven't driven it yet.

check out Home for parts

#8 ·
So other than orientation, there are no worries about the gear setup? (Nothing will change in lash, ect...) I assume there is a torque value for those bearing caps? Anyone know possibly what it is? (I can find it from the Parts guy when I get the seals and axle I imagine)

#9 ·
85 ft-lbs for caps, 35 ft-lbs for diff cover. Do not mix up the shims. Easy Job really. :)

#11 ·
I bought the tool to drive them out from outside the axle tubes in, you may be able to use a pipe or similar to drive them out. Be careful as there are plastic guides in the axle tubes.

#12 ·
The plastic guide is trashed as you can see in the picture, I thought they were part of the seal assembly.. guess I'll need to get those, (or at least one) new now too.:doh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.