Ford 5th Wheel Prep Package for SB [Archive] - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford 5th Wheel Prep Package for SB

superduty123
10-21-2010, 08:43 PM
With Job2 Ford has released the 5th wheel hitch for the Shortbed

I wanted to add it to my order but the dealer is telling me not to as it is only good if you buy a Ford Specific 5th wheel hitch

I don't have a 5th yet, only thinking about getting one. But the prep package seemed like a good idea with the bracing bar they put underneath

For those of you who do ahve a 5th wheel, or the Long bed with the prep package, is it worth it?

JimTJr
10-21-2010, 09:06 PM
If your pulling a 5th wheel camper, from what I understand you need a "Slider" hitch to pull one, or chance having your cab damaged when you turn sharply.
As far as the factory setup goes, I heard both ways, that there is a special hitch by Reece for the Ford factory setup, then I have heard that you can buy one that will fit aftermarket. I elected NOT to do the factory setup. For a couple of reasons, First the factory 5er hitch is 1600.00 from Ford and I couldn't get a straight answer about any aftermarket options, also here are 5 holes in the bed with it. The B&W hitch only has ONE hole in the center of the bed. However I don't think the B&W hitch has a slider option, you will need to get one made for short beds. I imagine all the hitch manufacturers have sliders to pick from.

BWilliams
10-21-2010, 11:35 PM
With Job2 Ford has released the 5th wheel hitch for the Shortbed

I wanted to add it to my order but the dealer is telling me not to as it is only good if you buy a Ford Specific 5th wheel hitch

I don't have a 5th yet, only thinking about getting one. But the prep package seemed like a good idea with the bracing bar they put underneath

For those of you who do ahve a 5th wheel, or the Long bed with the prep package, is it worth it?
I will look it back up again, but I believe it's only setup for pulling a "Gooseneck" type trailer with the short bed, not a 5th wheel.

JimTJr
10-22-2010, 02:31 AM
That may very likely be. I wish they had offered the factory gooseneck option on mine! (Well, kinda wish),,, the B&W is a great choice. I love it in my 03, and am getting one for my '11.
I really wondered if they encouraged 5th wheel hauling with the short bed.

Greenshield
10-22-2010, 02:56 AM
I have been looking at a fiver and have a SB 08. I camp alot and have noticing more SB with 5'ers now than long beds on a regular. I thought you had to have a slider too, but alas I was wrong. I have been looking for an Open Range 5'er and saw one at our last camp stop. I went up to the man who had an 09 f-250 two wheel drive short bed. He was older and after talking for a while found hes has had 4 5'ers. I asked how the SB and he said with the length of the Pin and the shaping of the noses on the trailer, he turns to 88 degrees. He saw the skepticism in my eyes. He invited me back the next day when he planned on pulling off. I came back and dang if he didn't pull an almost right angle with room to spare. The pin box was not an after market lengthened one like I have seen, they are bad as they move the weight too far back. It was factory and the shape of the cone wasn't wierd looking at all. .....now I am a believer.

superduty123
10-22-2010, 03:34 AM
On the Ford documentment titled Major Product Changes for the 2011 Superduty dated 10/1/10 it lists under Job 2 Order Guide updates

"5th Wheel/Gooseneck Hitch Pin Prep Package (53W) optional on Lariet and King Ranch"

Is there anyway to verify it WILL handle the 5th???

JimTJr
10-23-2010, 02:36 PM
It will tow it,,but like I said, there could be clearance issues with the cab in tight turns,,,

Twotone08
10-23-2010, 03:34 PM
To clear up any misconceptions.

The FORD 5th wheel only works with the factory prep package and a aftermarket 5th wheel WILL NOT work with the prep package. You can also install the FORD gooseneck along with their 5th wheel. Any new Superduty with the prep package will handle either of the FORD gooseneck and or 5th wheel.

Any time your pulling with a short bed, you'll have to make sure there isn't a lot of over hang on your trailer. If it is close, then you will probably need a slider, which will not work with a Prep package. If you are pulling with a goose and need cab clearance, you're pretty much boned unless you are using a B&W brand gooseneck since they off their extender which gives you an additional 4" of set back.

In all honesty, you are better off going with out the prep package b/c your options are a LOT cheaper. Especially if you ever upgrade your 5er and need a heavier hitch than 16k.

BWilliams
10-23-2010, 07:41 PM
In all honesty, you are better off going with out the prep package b/c your options are a LOT cheaper. Especially if you ever upgrade your 5er and need a heavier hitch than 16k.
um, the 5th wheel hitch that is orderable directly from Ford is the Elite Series and is rated for 25,000 lbs.

JimTJr
10-23-2010, 09:27 PM
um, the 5th wheel hitch that is orderable directly from Ford is the Elite Series and is rated for 25,000 lbs.

Yes,, but there are CHEAPER, (Not quality wise) options out there. The Ford Prep package is not reasonably priced when you buy the factory option, 370.00, I saw on EBAY the factory GOOSENECK parts are 220.00, and the 5th wheel hitch is 1,600.00!
You can have a B&W, complete, ALL NEW for 1,100 bucks. 399 for the gooseneck, and 799 for the "Companion"

LRTMatt
10-23-2010, 09:37 PM
That is exactly my reasoning Jim. Of course I already owned a Companion hitch so it was a no brainer for me. I still feel that if I were starting from scratch I would still go the same route. Even at dealer cost you are looking at a minimum of $1800 total for the "factory" setup. Yes it's neat and clean, but not worth a more than 50% premium.

Don't forget to add the cost of in-bed wiring to your comparison. Of course it's not really that expensive. My brother just ordered the plug in harness and bed plug kit from the Ford Parts warehouse for $35.

JimTJr
10-24-2010, 02:28 AM
Yep, 35.00 for the factory bed plug. And you only have ONE HOLE in the bed, not five! That alone was a big part in my decision NOT to look for the factory option.

LRTMatt
10-24-2010, 11:12 PM
And you only have ONE HOLE in the bed, not five! That alone was a big part in my decision NOT to look for the factory option.

But they provide such nice plastic plugs to fill the holes! That has to be worth something.

JimTJr
10-24-2010, 11:14 PM
But they provide such nice plastic plugs to fill the holes! That has to be worth something.

Yea, RIGHT! :doh:

JimTJr
10-24-2010, 11:50 PM
A little off topic, but WOOO HOOOO,,,, I just won a B&W Companion on ebay for 545.00! And have a friend who will pick it up for me when he goes home next time to Springfield Mo.

Now I have to get the Turn over ball installed onto my '11... :doh:

LRTMatt
10-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Congrats, Jim! You won't be sorry.

JimTJr
10-25-2010, 12:09 AM
Yea, I know. I LOVE the B&W on my 03, it's a great Gooseneck system. Also Teamroper60 who is a good friend has the Companion, I know it's awesome too. He loves his.
I could have used one of those gooseneck adapters as light as my 5er is probably. But this is only MAYBE 200.00 more than those are anyway,, and this is the RIGHT way to tow a 5th wheel! LOL Plus if I ever upgrade to a heavier one....

Some poor sucker thought he had it won with 10 seconds to go, at 400.00 :pointlaugh:

But call me the "Sniper" LOL! NO BIDS until the last 15 seconds! Set my mind as to how high I'll go, and whammo! :evil:postwhore2:

superduty123
10-25-2010, 02:31 AM
Yea, I still think I am going to go with the factory option. For the one simple reason is I want to tow a 5th wheel and also at times put a camper on the back

When you start getting older, just the thought of not having to pull the rails out each time I want to put the camper on the back is worth the extra cost

But I appreciate the input

Thanks

JimTJr
10-25-2010, 03:00 AM
Not haveing to pull the rails out,,, YOU NEED TO LOOK at B&W then for sure.
AWESOME setups. NO RAILS, only ONE HOLE in the bed,, and cheaper than the Factory setup for everything combined..... by quite a bit.

uga33
10-25-2010, 10:54 AM
The Compaion 5th wheel setup from B&W is extremely nice. I have a B&W setup on my 06 and have used the Companion with no issues on two different 5th wheel trailers. I also tow a gooseneck trailer that requires the 4 inch extension due to the trailer's box that is over the coupler. B&W is the only way to go in my opinion. Only thing that sucks is that the aftermarket hitches make your stock tailpipe look terrible.

erskine_e
10-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Check your math. Ed E

superduty123
10-25-2010, 10:25 PM
ok, so I don't understand what you mean that the aftermaket hitch make the exhust pipe look strange?

Also, isn't it better to have the bracing bar that Ford installs underneath vs not having it?

Lastly, does the B&W accomdate a "Slider hitch"

JimTJr
10-26-2010, 02:13 AM
I was just reading up on the Companion and it has different adjustments available. You can just have it ride 6" farther back. It won't slide, but it will offer clearance for the cab I guess. I did learn something about the "Sliders" They don't automatically slide, if your in a bind, and need the clearance, you have to unlock the thing, and let it move backwards.

uga33
10-27-2010, 07:39 PM
ok, so I don't understand what you mean that the aftermaket hitch make the exhust pipe look strange?

Also, isn't it better to have the bracing bar that Ford installs underneath vs not having it?

Lastly, does the B&W accomdate a "Slider hitch"

Look at all 2008+ trucks running gooseneck hitches. You have to drop the exhaust for clearance.

LRTMatt
10-28-2010, 12:08 AM
Look at all 2008+ trucks running gooseneck hitches. You have to drop the exhaust for clearance.

Yes but it's only about 1.5". I have seen people talking about 3"-5" but the relocation bracket that came with my B & W hitch only lowered it 1"-1.5". The average person can't tell the difference. Seeing the temps generated by regen, I'm glad to have that pipe slightly further away from my paint!

JimTJr
10-28-2010, 01:07 AM
B&W states nothing needs changed, some models need exhaust adjusted. They state for the '11s it's a direct bolt on.

LRTMatt
10-28-2010, 01:16 AM
Been there, installed 2 of them Jim. They supply an exhaust bracket extension with the kit and the directions say to use it. Good luck bolting the rear exhaust mount back up without it. It can be forced, but the exhaust will sit against the hitch which will create vibration and heat transfer issues.

JimTJr
10-28-2010, 01:42 AM
Ok, so on the 11's it's required? Oh well, how far does it drop it?

LRTMatt
10-28-2010, 01:50 AM
Yes but it's only about 1.5". I have seen people talking about 3"-5" but the relocation bracket that came with my B & W hitch only lowered it 1"-1.5". The average person can't tell the difference. Seeing the temps generated by regen, I'm glad to have that pipe slightly further away from my paint!

I guess about 1" to 1.5" according to my experience. I've seen several people talk like it's much more than that but I would be willing to bet that they installed the relocation bracket incorrectly. The stupid bracket is a little confusing to deal with and could have been designed better. I basically installed it the way that affected my exhaust position the least and still cleared the hitch by an inch or so.

JimTJr
10-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks, I guess I skimmed right over that post of yours above you quoted...:doh:
I was tired last night,,,

Sounds like it will be fine. I also hope that it's not even noticeable after it's on.

LRTMatt
10-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Well all I can really tell you is I'm pretty particular about the looks of my truck and the exhaust looks fine to me!

JimTJr
10-29-2010, 12:13 AM
That's probably going to be fine with me then!

JimTJr
10-29-2010, 11:26 PM
LRTMatt, just went to B&Ws site again,

This is where I saw the exhaust is NOT required to be messed with....

Now Available! Ford Super Duty Turnoverball - 1111R

B&W is proud to be "First to Market" in the release of our 1111R Turnoverball for the 2011 Ford Super Duty.

Available Now!!!

* Our Easiest Installing Ford Gooseneck Hitch Ever

-Side Plates Require No Drilling OR Clamping Straps

-Truck Exhaust No Longer Requires The Installation Of Stand Offs

* Designed To Fit Long And Short Bed Trucks

* Ball Location At 3 5/8" Ahead Of Axle Provides Greater Turning Clearance

*Turnoverball Model 1108 still available for 1999-2010 Ford Super Duty Trucks

NEVER MIND, I just found the instructions, and it says for DIESEL engines the exhaust may have to be relocated... guess the above statement is for gassers,, :doh: I also just went out and measured, It looks like the 46 1/8" falls dead center on the beds stock GN spot. COOL!!!

Matt, would you have any pictures of your installs?

LRTMatt
10-30-2010, 01:00 AM
I can take a few pictures, but I didn't waste any time during the install since it's about the 4th GN install I've done. The factory flat spot in the bed has a center dimple in it. No need to even measure, just drill your pilot hole in that dimple then let her have it with the hole saw!

It is literally so easy a caveman can do it. Just do yourself a favor and crack the bed bolts loose before you even attempt to install any of the hitch. It wasn't really necessary on my 06, but would have made it easier for sure. It also helps to drop the spare tire for better access to set the center section in place, but it's not necessary. We dropped the tire on my brother's truck and left it in place on mine. The DEF lines and such get in the way to a certain extent, but with 2 people under there we easily snaked it in place without dropping the spare.

Tomorrow is a busy day with soccer and football, but I will do my best to get you a few pictures.

JimTJr
10-30-2010, 02:16 PM
No biggie, don't worry about pics, I appreciate the advice, and if I run into any problems I know you'll be a good source of info now! So just be ready if I have issues,,,:D (I don't forsee any though, it does sound pretty straight forward)