glow plug situation [Archive] - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

glow plug situation

HeeHaw
02-07-2008, 05:26 PM
i did the engine swap from the thread below, we converted the GPR to use a a push button and power from the battery, well the system was working and the truck was starting fine, now a couple days later and it not starting so i tested the glow plugs and none of them are working, last night we were doign some testing and found that a 7.3 IDI uses 9 volts, so if anyone has any insighton why were frying GP's please help out. The button was never pushed for more than 20 seconds by the way -wyatt

HeeHaw
02-08-2008, 12:55 PM
im not goign to have to taek this problem over to TDS am i

Cat_Rebel
02-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Take it over to oilburners.net that's where all the IDI guys hang out.

69W900A
02-10-2008, 03:07 AM
Just put a resistor in line to knock the voltage down to 9 volts or so, easy enough to do.

Make sure the resistor is rated to handle the kind of current that will be going threw it tho.

genuineford
02-13-2008, 04:33 PM
A friend of mine told me one time that there were GP's that you could put in that were 12V. It was a long time ago and I don't remember what they what they were.

Mr. Bob
03-11-2008, 07:56 AM
I had my IDI wired to a push button for ever....

How did you run the push button setup???

There are 4 wires on the GPR, 2 larger, 2 smaller....

One smaller wire is a ground from the controller and one is and ignition +... I cut the ground from the controller and ran that wire into the cab, to a push button switch, then to a good ground.... This kept the high amp setup in tact, and got rid of the crappy controller....

What kind of glow plugs did you use? not autolite I hope!!!