EGT [Archive] - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

EGT

OldSchool101
10-25-2009, 07:24 PM
I have a 92 with a 7.3L IDI NA diesel, with the pump turned up, i pull trailers and stuff and it gets a real workout on the hills, just wondering how bad it could be for the engine, or if there is anything i can do about it, or maybe get a better mixture for fuel to burn better.

pjwoolw
10-25-2009, 11:25 PM
If your concerned about it install a pyrometer. 1200 degrees or so is about the safe limit.

Welcome to the forum!

tughill283
10-25-2009, 11:38 PM
better mixture??

OldSchool101
10-26-2009, 02:18 AM
yea haven't installed one yet haven't been able to afford one yet. I know of guys that had these for farm trucks back in the day and had them turned up, and never had any problems and they beat the crap outta them. i was just wondering about this i know you have to what EGT when you start doing anything with fuel.

Hyde
10-26-2009, 03:14 AM
I run mine to 1300. They say 1200 is teh max though

OldSchool101
10-27-2009, 01:04 AM
What happens if you get above that like on a hill or something pulling a big load or something, what can a guy do if that were to happen

Super_Hauler
10-27-2009, 01:08 AM
What happens if you get above that like on a hill or something pulling a big load or something, what can a guy do if that were to happen

Up shift, keep the rpm's higher and dont lug the truck that will heat up the coolant and egt's. 1350 is max but i hit 1400-1450 every now and dont let these guys freak you too bad. Just dont keep it over 1350 for too long.

pjwoolw
10-27-2009, 01:10 AM
The only thing you can do is shift down. My 86 had the four speed. But I will say one thing. It ran a whole lot better and temps were a little lower after i replaced the injectors. Ran better than new when I sold it. It also had the original banks Powerpack. So the exhaust was a little better than stock.

OldSchool101
10-27-2009, 01:13 AM
I know that its smokes at its worst when at higher RPMS or when it is to the floor, and lugging any diesel isnt the best idea, i know with these old IDI NA you can and it wont fall on its face. I apprieciate all the input, i am new to this first diesel that i have for myself. any more ideas are great, or any other tips to do to these good ole motors would be awesome.

OldSchool101
10-27-2009, 01:19 AM
I have also been thinking about using 5 inch drain pipe for an intake to maybe get some more fuel to burn, i know it sounds tacky and cheap but this is about the only thing i have found to fit the stock intake, other than flex exhaust pipe,

Super_Hauler
10-27-2009, 01:21 AM
just use a piece of 4" exhaust pipe, all you need is a 4" long piece and the put a tymar 6637 filter on there. Best filter for the buck!

jdc753
10-27-2009, 08:14 PM
I have also been thinking about using 5 inch drain pipe for an intake to maybe get some more fuel to burn, i know it sounds tacky and cheap but this is about the only thing i have found to fit the stock intake, other than flex exhaust pipe,

If your still NA, and still have the stock air filter setup, at least make sure to cut out the soup bowl on the underside of the cover. This will open things up greatly. Its a free start before you go making something.

Otherwise the Tymar idea with the 6637 filter on there would work pretty good, even better if you could make up some sort of a hat that will bolt it to the intake and ditch the stock setup.

I didn't see any talk about exhaust, or mention on what you are running for exhaust. a Good 3.5" or 4" kit should really help out with the EGT's. For NA, I think the Banks y-pipe was one of the best produced for these trucks, then get some good pipe behind it with a free flowing muffler and should be good.

Not sure how well it would work with the NA trucks, but do some research on here about swapping out the Govorner springs in the pump to those from the GM 6.2L diesels. Should be able to get a few more r's out of the motor, around 3,600-4,000

Also switching over to a Holley Red electric fuel pump was a very popular upgrade. Use a big block chevy block off plate for the lift pump on the motor and put the red pump on the frame rail after the tank selector switch.

OldSchool101
11-11-2009, 03:28 AM
I went with just a piece of plastic drain pipe off the stock cleaner down through to as close to the grille as possible, giving a kinda ram air effect. Did seem to help out some but there is not alot of space down near the radiator to put a 4 inch pipe. It was mentioned that i cut the piece off the filter cover, i take it you mean the piece that the bolt runs down throught that is on the bottom side of the cover?

Also to answer the question on exhaust, it is factory 2.5in y and pipe with a piece of 3in flex, to the 2.75 tail pipe, with a 5 inch tip, absolutely NO MUFFLER, loud as heck when you are in the higher RPMs.

Any more simple, cheap mods, suggestions, advice, like i had said this is my first diesel that i have to my self, have been around them for years, but were never mine to play with. Have been thinking about doing injectors, and what not, but that will be some time down the road.

jdc753
11-11-2009, 12:27 PM
found this pic of the "soup bowl"

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/sizeimage.php?photoid=125219&.jpg=

cut it off flat to open up the intake, probably won't seem like much but should clear up a little bit of smoke. Some trucks don't have the bowl but have other restrictions that can be cut out of the intake base.

Cat_Rebel
11-11-2009, 02:32 PM
just use a piece of 4" exhaust pipe, all you need is a 4" long piece and the put a tymar 6637 filter on there. Best filter for the buck!

Not enough room under the hood for a 6637 unless you remove your secondary battery or overflow & washer tanks.

When I had mine N/A with a straight pipe towing a trailer or a good WOT run it would hover around 1100. Mainly due to the fact it didn't have enough air to make the fuel burn & would just come out as smoke without power. That "safe" # is also 1250* not 1350*. The aluim pistons will melt if they see over 1250* substained.