6.0 starter wont engage first try when engine oil is cold, NEED Help. [Archive] - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

6.0 starter wont engage first try when engine oil is cold, NEED Help.

wiredupfiredup03
06-07-2013, 10:32 PM
I have a 2003 f-350 with the early 6.0L engine. I replaced the starter a year ago due to the starter rod turning but not engaging the flywheel. The new starter did the same thing however it would only do it on cold starts, and after 2-5 tries the starter would engage and start the truck. Also on 80 plus degree days it would start first time even if engine is cold, but if its 50 or below it takes a few tries. I turn key for start and I hear the starter rod spin but not engage flywheel, I will stop for a few seconds and try try try till the starter engages flywheel and it starts. All mechanics i show it to are stumped and i need help, also flywheel was inspected with no issues.

miller45103
06-08-2013, 12:08 AM
I have a 2003 f-350 with the early 6.0L engine. I replaced the starter a year ago due to the starter rod turning but not engaging the flywheel. The new starter did the same thing however it would only do it on cold starts, and after 2-5 tries the starter would engage and start the truck. Also on 80 plus degree days it would start first time even if engine is cold, but if its 50 or below it takes a few tries. I turn key for start and I hear the starter rod spin but not engage flywheel, I will stop for a few seconds and try try try till the starter engages flywheel and it starts. All mechanics i show it to are stumped and i need help, also flywheel was inspected with no issues.

Its possible you could have gotten a bad starter.
I had one a while back whee the Bendix would not also slide out. I took it back to the ford house and they gave me another one. New one has never had a problem.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

Zmann
06-08-2013, 12:22 AM
thats what I would be thinking

toolmangary
06-08-2013, 01:09 AM
^^ Me too

wiredupfiredup03
06-08-2013, 01:37 AM
Yeah but the old starter did the same thing and new one does it when its cold outside, however it could be -10 out and as long as the truck is warm from running recently it will have no issues starting on first try. What my guess is if it could be solenoid going bad?

Zmann
06-08-2013, 01:52 AM
good point
but you made it sound like the starter spun at all times but wouldn't engage when cold ?

wiredupfiredup03
06-08-2013, 02:27 AM
Ok when its cold that is when starter spins but no engage until I cycle a few times and then after about 2-5 tries it will engage and start, I will drive it long enough till engine temp gauge moves a little and turn it off (a quick drive to local store), I will then start it first try no problems. Its as if engine temp and outside temp determine if it will engage on first try. Weird i know.

Zmann
06-08-2013, 04:11 AM
well if the starter is spinning the bendex action should chuck the gear out and engage the flywheel

even if it were a tad slow spinning for some reason

but you can try the solenoid or replace the starter if it has a warranty swap it out or at least that's how I would proceed

Blue Hawg
06-08-2013, 07:06 AM
I Agree with the others responses. Only issues I've ever seen with starters related to temps is the starter overheating and not functioning properly. Can't say as I've ever seen one function incorrectly due to cold weather. If I were to think cold weather would effect anything it would more than likely be the batteries. It should be warrantied if purchased recently so pull it off and take it for an exchange. At most if it doesn't fix the issue you're out a lil time, oh and maybe a busted knuckle or two.

mastrkee
06-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Maybe oil is somehow getting in/on the bendix or somewhere in/on the starter and causing a restriction of some sort. Cold oil thick, hot oil not so much.
Just a thought.