Return lines & caps [Archive] - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Return lines & caps

Bradbilt
12-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Just got my new return lines and plastic caps today. Gona put them on tomorrow. Any suggestions on how to do them so the truck will start without cranking forever or am i pissin in the wind

Cat_Rebel
12-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Do like I said I replace everything then tighten everything back down. Then back the nut on the lines off just a hair. Hold the throttle to the floor & start cranking don't wait for the plugs. Crank for about 5 seconds give or take. Then get out & look at which lines have pushed out some fuel. With any luck all of em will have, tighten em all up & then repete the process. This time wait for the glow plugs & hold your foot on the throttle again. Soon as it starts & runs for a second you can back off the throttle but not all the way. 1/2 throttle or so kinda hard to explain you'll get a feel for it when you do it.
Main thing is you want to get the air out of the lines without killing your battreys & or starter. If you do it the way I described you might get luckey & get it in the first or second try. Main thing I guess is to have a feel for your truck & once you bleed the air out of the lines on a Diesel once or twice you'll get the hang of it.

Bradbilt
12-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Would parking it facing down hill help any? I know it does for letting it sit for more than a couple of hours otherwise i loose my fuel prime. But i would like to squeas it in my garage to work on it not just in the drive;)

Cat_Rebel
12-24-2008, 10:28 PM
I have no clue on that one, I did mine on a level surface so I donno if parking it on a hill would help it any. If she won't start on a level surface then there is some other issue that will need to be addressed.

Bradbilt
12-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Well the theory behind parking it facing down hill is that the fuel will have to run uphill to bleed back to the tank when air is gettin into the fuel system at the engine. Should i lube the o rings w diesel fuel or will engine oil be ok?

Cat_Rebel
12-25-2008, 12:36 AM
Engine oil is just fine, that's what I used on mine. Just make sure you get both O rings on the injectors.

Bradbilt
12-25-2008, 02:10 AM
10-4:fordoval:

Bradbilt
12-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Where do the copper washers go that came w the kit go? On the fuel lines where they go into the pump? And the fuel line coming out of/into? the fuel filter housing is wet. I already tried tightening it last week but it is still leaking. Does a copper washer go in there?

roosterdiesel
12-26-2008, 04:23 PM
What kit do you have....Dipaco...Interstate mcbee? If there's 8 coppers they go on the injector tips.

Bradbilt
12-26-2008, 05:01 PM
What kit do you have....Dipaco...Interstate mcbee? If there's 8 coppers they go on the injector tips.

Its the Dipaco. Just put new o-rings,caps and lines on. Left lines loose to injectors, cranked for 15 sec w throttle to floor, tightened up lines, waited for glowplug and she fired right up. I put the copper washers and extra o ring and clamps in the exta parts drawer in the tool boxLOL.
Now i'll just have to let it sit over night to see how she starts.

O and after closer inspection my return lines were dry and cracked. O-rings and caps looked good but all got replaced

Cat_Rebel
12-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Glad she cranked right up for you. I did the same thing I put the copper washers on the shelf till I pull the injectors someday.

Bobus
12-28-2008, 09:55 PM
You say that the where the Fuel lines go into the filter is wet? That may also be a place where your getting air into your system.. A place to check if your problems arn't solved

Bradbilt
12-29-2008, 12:01 AM
Well the truck sat for 36 hours(facing up hill). went out this afternoon and she started right up and kept running without a hichup. The steel line that comes out of the filter housing to the Ip was damp right at the filter housing, but the return line next to it was also wet. I'm thinking it was just residual on the steel line. But if not, what seals the steel line to the 90* elbow on the back of the filter housing? When i pulled the line it looks like a thick rubber"washer" That gets sandwiched between the 90* and the nut on the line

Bobus
12-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Yeah thats basically what it is.. But if she fires up and runs sounds like you found the problem

Doakster
05-24-2009, 03:50 AM
Bringing this one back. I'm pretty sure now my problem with starting is air related.

The Dipaco site says you need a login to access the site. Anyone else know where to get cap/line kits. I see there is a kits on ebay. Anyone else offer them?

Cat_Rebel
05-24-2009, 04:15 AM
Bringing this one back. I'm pretty sure now my problem with starting is air related.

The Dipaco site says you need a login to access the site. Anyone else know where to get cap/line kits. I see there is a kits on ebay. Anyone else offer them?

Got mine here- Oregon fuel injection (http://www.o-f-i.com/index.php?pid=16#INJECTORS_6.9L/7.3L_IDI_FORD_DIESEL)

Scroll down till you see FORD DIESEL INJECTOR RETURN TEE KITS 6.9L, 7.3L IDI.

Doakster
05-24-2009, 04:30 AM
Got mine here- Oregon fuel injection (http://www.o-f-i.com/index.php?pid=16#INJECTORS_6.9L/7.3L_IDI_FORD_DIESEL)

This kit includes a little extra doesn't it?

Ford Diesel 6.9 7.3 Pump & Injector Return Line Kit:eBay Motors (item 370182291038 end time May-31-09 14:05:47 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Diesel-6-9-7-3-Pump-Injector-Return-Line-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116Q QhashZitem5630957e5eQQitemZ370182291038QQptZMotors Q5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories)

Cat_Rebel
05-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Not really, looks like both have the same stuff more or less. You won't end up using the copper washer unless you pull the injectors so hang onto them for later.

Bradbilt
05-24-2009, 01:56 PM

thats where i got mine from