Another hard starting IDI [Archive] - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Another hard starting IDI

Cat_Rebel
09-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Well I'm trying to figgure out what my hard starting issue is. It's not the batteries because it has a healthy crank to it. It will crank & crank & crank then...fooom. I get a cloud of white (& a little black when it really cranks for awhile) smoke that comes out but then clears right up. I was reading some other forums & they said the change to ULSD caused their Injector pumps to go bad sooner. I've been running the regular (maybe a little extra but not that much) mix of the two stroke oil. The thing has 150k or so for miles. I think it has the stock injector pump which might be part of the problem. I'll have to look through the paper work because the last owner had some kind of fuel system work done about a year or two ago & it might have been replaced. But if the injector pump was REALLY BAD don't you think it would smoke alot more & be starving for power? When the motor's warm I don't even have to wait for the plugs & it always fires right up. So could it just be the usual glow plugs or relay.
I do have a video in my Myspace videos for anyone that's on there & has a high speed connection.

gregrob
09-25-2007, 09:21 PM
I'd say glow plugs, relay, and ohm out all the wires and make sure you're getting good connections.

Make sure battery cables are clean and tight, and batteries are good.

Those IDI's are sensitive to that stuff.

Cat_Rebel
09-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Okay update...I turned up the pump a little. I'm going to back it off because it was just a little too much. But it fires right up now without struggling or chugging out white smoke.:confused:
Don't know if it wasn't getting enough fuel & by turning it up I am giving it what it wants. Either way I'll let everyone know what happens when I DE-Tune it.:D

trackspeeder
10-02-2007, 11:29 PM
White smoke is air in the system or faulty glowplugs.

Cat_Rebel
10-03-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm thinking more along the lines of bad glow plugs. Just because it will out start a Powerstroke when it's warmed up & I don't use the glow plugs.

trackspeeder
10-04-2007, 12:01 AM
If you change the glow plugs use only Beru (Ford brand) plugs. Never use Autolite or Champion plugs. The off brands have a very short life span. Tips swell and break off leading to bigger problems.

Cat_Rebel
10-04-2007, 12:51 AM
Do I pick those up at the dealership or can I get those at Autozone? I've also heard that you should change all 8 like you would spark plugs just so that all are new & drawing the same juice. I know I'm going to have to do something soon because winter is just around the corner.

greenbeast
10-04-2007, 01:07 AM
auto zone has them, hurry because they were on sale last i knew!!:poke:

Cat_Rebel
10-04-2007, 01:50 AM
Great, now I need a tach sensor, a bumper & a set of glow plugs that are on sale. Oh well, it's still alot cheaper than a girlfriend!:D

trackspeeder
10-04-2007, 11:08 PM
The tach sensor is a dealer item. Get the pluge from Ricer Zone. You might have to wack the parts monkey in the head a couple times to jog his memory.:D They want to sell me spark plugs every time I go for glowplugs.:shrug:

Total the dealer and the zone parts. way cheaper than a girl friend.:D

Cat_Rebel
10-05-2007, 04:28 AM
I don't worry too much Auto Zizzle when my buddy is working there. He knows alot about Diesels & drives a OBS with stage 2s & a DP Tuner. When he's not working there anything can happen!:lookaround: