In need of serious help no low oil pressure [Archive] - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

In need of serious help no low oil pressure

Stokedstroke
08-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Ok so I have an 03 F350 6.0l It stopped running the other day I have checked oil pressure and I have no low oil pressure so my buddy who works on them for a living tol dme to check the pickup tube in case it fell off so i pulled the oil pan all is well so he told me to check the low pressure oil pump did that looks fine now im at a dead end he doesnt know and the ford dealership doesnt know whats wrong so I am asking if anyone has any idea or come across the same thing also anyone seen the windage try crack or the gasket behind the front plate break where the main oil passage is please help I need this truck up and running. Thanks

bismic1
08-07-2011, 12:48 AM
I assume your truck is not starting?

Cobra 19 & 54
08-07-2011, 01:12 AM
When my HPOP let go, it seemed as though I couldn't get Low Pres oil. It wouldn't show on my guage. Try it, maybe it is the problem.

lubeowner
08-07-2011, 05:26 AM
Your hpop took a crap and needs replaced.

Stokedstroke
08-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Ok guys your saying hpop but I have no oil to feed my hpop my oil filter housing is empty all the time even after cranking for 30 seconds

turbodiesel_02
08-07-2011, 07:49 PM
most likely its your hpop.id pull the low pressure oil regulat or out and inspect it first.it should not shoot out,if it does the the regulator is stuck and lpo is bypassing.

DBM
08-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Do you have the correct oil filter and cap on, if not it may not be holding the drainback valve closed

Stokedstroke
08-08-2011, 09:48 PM
i changed the oil filter a week before it stopped running so it ran for a week with the new filter i have checked the relief valve its fine. Ok heres the thing u guys say hpop but no one has given me prrof that it is my hpop im not pulling any oil out of the oil pan up into the filter housing to feed the hpop so if someone can explain why my hpop would cause that issue ill replace it

CTC DEEZUL
08-08-2011, 11:02 PM
did you find a marble sized ball bearing in your pan???

because thats going to be your problem..... It fell out of HPOP

Stokedstroke
08-09-2011, 01:53 AM
No i did not find anything in the pan

Hicktownmotorsports
08-09-2011, 02:19 AM
Theres 3 things other then a HPOP that will cause no oil pressure in a 6.0 and I've fixed them all. Your IPR valve may be shot, check the screen to see if its intact, your HPOP branch tube snap connection may have blown off, theres an upgrade kit available from international to turn it into a screw on fitting and if your trucks modded especialy with a fluid damper you may have fractured the low pressure oil pump gears located in the front of the motor around the crank shaft. All 3 of them will not allow your truck to start.

CTC DEEZUL
08-09-2011, 02:44 AM
he has an 03, there is no update for that fitting... and personally I have never ran into a bad IPR causing low/no low oil pressure

bismic1
08-09-2011, 03:44 AM
When you cranked and watched the oil filter housing, were you holding the drain valve closed w/ a screwdriver or equivaent?

Sounds like you were from your post below, but can't tell for sure if you were holding the drain valve closed, etc. Just want to confirm you are getting absolutely ZERO oil flow to the filter.

Ok guys your saying hpop but I have no oil to feed my hpop my oil filter housing is empty all the time even after cranking for 30 seconds

03F250 6.0
08-09-2011, 04:01 AM
if it is an ipr it will turn on when cold but when hot, it will just crank, more then likely your hpop went out.

joeturbodiesel
08-09-2011, 08:28 PM
I have exactly the same problem except it is AFTER replacing the HPOP IPR and screen under the cooler. I cannot get low oil pressure and Dont understand why. I have cranked it in intervals equal to at least ten minutes. Pulled the pressure regulator and cranked it and nothing comes out. I am going to remove the front cover and check the pick up tube or check the oil pump next. I will post back if i find the problem. Have yall figured out what yalls problem is yet?

joeturbodiesel
08-09-2011, 08:33 PM
If you dont have engine oil pressure it will not feed the HPOP. Go after the low pressure problem first. I replaced the HPOP and associated parts because i had an ICP code after the truck shut down. After pulling the HPOP and IPR, the IPR had a ton of metal on the screen. That is why I felt confident we had fixed the problem. Now it wont start and I cant get low pressure at all and it wont pump it up to the filter and after pulling the regulater wont spit it out of there either. Like I said in the previous post, I will let you know what else I find.

Stokedstroke
08-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Ok yes i have checked the drain back valve i have no flow at all and i have replaced the ipr when i did my egr delete which was last week while the no start was happening my gears are fine i have checked them where are the branch tubes at. What should i look for when i look at them

kyle43335
08-09-2011, 09:44 PM
did you put oil back in the engine after changing it? not being a dick,but i have seen people do this innocently.

joeturbodiesel
08-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Yeah, we put oil back in it. And from my experience, no thats not a dumb question. We found the problem though. Something metalic went through the engine oil pump. i dont know how to post pics or else I would. the gears are all scarred up and the front cover is gouged out real bad. Didn't have to take off the whole front cover though on a good sidenote. once you get the balancer off the oil pump is accesible after you pull off the little cover around the crankshaft. $700 from ford to replace it with an assy.

Stokedstroke
08-09-2011, 10:37 PM
ok not sure if that was directed towards me but yes i have oil in the engine up to the point where i took the pan offf

smokersteve
08-10-2011, 02:58 PM
if you take the oil filter and cap off and look in side the oil filter housing while you crank it, you will normally see oil flowing in there if your low pressure oil pump was working.

APCDIESEL
08-10-2011, 08:08 PM
A faulty high pressure oil pump will cause the gauge to read zero oil pressure, but will not cause no oil to build up in the oil filter stalk. Remove and inspect the low pressure oil pump and replace it if damage and inspect the front cover... and do not forget the oil pressure regulator which is a 12mm allen on the bottom of the front cover I seen metal build up causing the regulator to stick.

Stokedstroke
08-10-2011, 10:59 PM
OK my oil pump is fine my releif valve is fine my cover and assembly is fine pickup tube windage tray are all good what else can cause no low oil pressure and its not my hpop

bismic1
08-11-2011, 01:25 AM
Are you sure the pickup tube is clear all the way to the pump? Could there be a crack in the pickup tube above the liquid level - letting air in? It wouldn't take much of a crack to keep the pump from getting suction.

Stokedstroke
08-11-2011, 07:20 AM
I know the pickup tube isnt clogged and i cant see any signs of a crack in that or my windage tray I might replace both with good ones and reseal everything and pour oil into the oil filter housing to help with the priming of the engine what you guys think.

bismic1
08-11-2011, 10:40 AM
I know the pickup tube isnt clogged and i cant see any signs of a crack in that or my windage tray I might replace both with good ones and reseal everything and pour oil into the oil filter housing to help with the priming of the engine what you guys think.

Sounds like a good plan.

Stokedstroke
08-21-2011, 06:02 AM
bad news still no start replaced every gasket in the low pressure system and checked the gears all good what is wrong with my truck

ddillenger
08-21-2011, 07:43 PM
I know you're adamant about the HPOP being good-but have you looked at it? The 03 trucks had a ball bearing pressed into the side-when the ball bearing falls out, the LPO feeding the HPOP will bypass and go right back into the pan, causing a no start and a lack of low pressure oil. If you have replaced all the other components in the low pressure oil system, check the hpop. There is a good chance that ball fell out and is causing your lack of low pressure oil.

CTC DEEZUL
08-22-2011, 04:36 AM
I think someone else was suggesting the HPOP this whole time too.....

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Cobra 19 & 54
08-22-2011, 04:39 AM

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Why listen to us now, there's so much more he can check.:doh:

ddillenger
08-22-2011, 04:39 AM

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I was agreeing with that person and explaining how the HPOP could cause a lack of low pressure oil.