Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Replacing air compressor?

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Bryrylan 
#1 ·
Anyone ever replace an air compressor on a 3406B? looks straight forward unbolt it, and all the lines and pop the new one on right?

#2 ·
Yes sir its pretty easy done sevaral your right on track with how your doing it

#4 ·
how come are they liquid cooled? I need to get a clean bucket and drain into that and put it back in cause i just spent 2 bills on coolant after my new radiator.

#5 ·
yes the air compressor head is liquid cooled. the compressor crank is engine oil lubed. Thats why its one of the first things to rule out when having some problems with the engine. One being high crankcase pressure like you were saying you had. If you had the right clamps to pinch off the coolant lines I'd say do it that way. but if you don't just drain the coolant into clean buckets and reuse it after. Don't damage the lines with vice grips or anything like that.

Was the truck passing or failing air system performance tests for building pressure and leak downs?

#6 ·
I just pulled a compressor this week. It took longer to drain the coolant than to undo the rest of the lines and pull off the compressor.

#9 ·
Did ya get 'er done?

I've got a couple sets of bluepoint hose clamps specific for the jobs like that. and block heaters on gensets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.